Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password storage tool?

From: Chris Merkel <chrism () geo-synthetics com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:12:40 -0500

I realize that storing this info on the network is usually a
Bad Thing(tm), but if we can securely encrypt it, it makes it
a lot easier for people to get the info in the time of need
(without the gatekeeper having to drive into the office at 4am).

Looking for real-world stories, ideas, what didn't work, etc...

I use password safe - it's a simple, open-source app for Win32 / PocketPC. I
like it for several reasons:
1. Multiple database support - you can keep different vaults of passwords
for different groups of people.
2. Uses high-grade encryption.
3. Has Bruce Schneier's stamp of approval.
4. It's free.

Password Safe homepage:
http://www.counterpane.com/passsafe.html

Here's the sourceforge page for it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/

- They also say they're working on version 2.0, which will be easier to port
across different platforms.

-=-
Chris Merkel
Network Admin