Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Any exploit of rpc.statd on Redhat 9 default setting?

From: Chris Ess <azarin () tokimi net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:12:22 -0400 (EDT)

Any exploit of rpc.statd on Redhat 9 default setting?

I am practicing on making Redhat secure.
After installing Redhat 9 w/ default setting, i checked w/ Nessus.
and then i found rpc.statd vulnerability.
Why does still Redhat 9 have nfs-utils bug for such a long time?
from what version of nfs-utils rpm is safe from this bug?

Having not run nessus recently, is it actually checking to make sure that
the rpc.statd is vulnerable or is it just checking to see if it's there?
My experience with nessus has been that it does a rather cursory check to
see if something is vulnerable, usually by as little as seeing if a port
is open or if a service has a specific banner.

To the best of my knowledge, there is not an outstanding rpc.statd bug.
Although, if there is, I would certainly love to hear about it.

If you're running RH9, I suggest going to update.redhat.com and getting
any updated RPMs that are available.

RHSA-2003:206-01 includes errata packages for nfs-utils to
correct a vector for a denial of service attack.  More ingormation can be
found here: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-206.html

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Chris Ess
System Administrator / CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)