Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DCOM Hotfix breaks our software

From: alex mole <alex.mole () realtimeworlds com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:37:05 +0100

The software is NXN AlienBrain 6 (www.nxn-software.com)

It's a client-server app for version control (sort of like an uber-CVS).
My guess is that it uses DCOM for some of it's functionality.

The problems were on a client machine, and once the hotfix had been uninstalled from this machine the problems went away. Obviously, this machine is now still susceptible to the exploit (and W32.Blaster as well).

Is there any other way (without breaking things like DCOM and NetBIOS) to patch this hole?

Alex

matt willson wrote:
Well, perhaps we could have better knowledge/responses if you informed
us of the software?