Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best IP configuration for OpenBSD firewall/router

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:56:01 +0200

On 2003-08-19 Arturo Buanzo Busleiman wrote:
I was talking from below IP addressing: at HUB or SWITCH level. That's
why I provided the link to the ettercap sniffer, for a bit more
documentation.

I was aware of that, but I still don't see how this will be helpful in
answering the question whether the router should have an IP address from
the same network or not. Ettercap cannot sniff anything that isn't sent,
and if the router does not belong to the clients' network, I doubt that
anything significant will be sent.

You're right that Ethernet is a broadcast media, but that information is
academic in this context. IMHO.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers