Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Distinctions in Certification

From: James Taylor <james_n_taylor () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:08:21 -0700 (PDT)

ATTACHMENT part 3 message/rfc822
From: "Peter Baxter" <peter.baxter () bt com>
To: "'Jarrod Loidl'" <loidlja () corp earthlink net>,
  <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Subject: RE: Distinctions in Certification
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:16:09 +0100

Well as someone who hires security staff, I look for hands-on real world
experience. The CISSP and the rest are all too conceptual based, I've
had students with these certs who do not know how to do fragmented port
scans.

'CISSP and the rest'

You've had students with the CISSP certification? Either they hookwinked the
examiners or perhaps you are confused as to the certification they actually
have..... You need to make sure you are employing the correct people into the
right roles with the correct certification.

The CISSP is a management security certification and you have to have at least
4 years professional experience in a number of 'domains' before you can sit it.
Which are:

   Access Control Systems & Methodology
   Applications & Systems Development
   Business Continuity Planning
   Cryptography
   Law, Investigation & Ethics
   Operations Security
   Physical Security
   Security Architecture & Models
   Security Management Practices
   Telecommunications, Network & Internet Security

There are technical certifications, and managerial certifications. You should
not be employing CISSPS to run fragmented port scans. You should employ a
security analyst to do that.

Would I trust a security compliance program/BCP/large website installation
project to someone with am particular technical exam? Nope. Where is the
technical project management experience? What about Law? BCP? DR? Programming
techniques? I've seen a few 'firewall engineer' who knows not much more than
TCPIP ports.

Of the people I have met who have taken the CISSP, they all agreed it was one
of the toughest exams they had ever taken, and definitely not some boot-camp
qualification. In general they are 1) experienced. 2) mature, 3) respected in
the industry and 4) can be trusted and have the know-how to complete projects
on-time and on-target.

Perhaps you should think about taking it yourself, then pass more informed
comment.

James
CISSP MIEE BEng

From my experience a pratical security certification such as the ESA
from www.securityassociate.org really puts into practise text-book
knowledge. We have around 20 ESA's at BT and are happy with the skills
of the engineers.

But nothing beats real world experience and no cert can give you this.

Peter Baxter
British Telecommunications PLC
Head of Information Security - Europe and Asia
Tel: +44 (0)20 450 5000 ext. 4456
[Email is spam protected]

ATTACHMENT part 7 message/rfc822