Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSH mail server experiments

From: Jan De Luyck <ml () kcore org>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 18:13:18 +0200

On Thursday 07 August 2003 19:20, chris Verhagen wrote:
A week ago I started a webhosting service for subdomains at
http://crystal-ninja.cjb.net . Now, ofcourse, people need to ftp into their
public_html directory in their home dirs. I'm using proFTPd for that.
But now for the problem: I just got the idea to make a funny mail service.
People should be able to just SSH into my server and instead of a shell,
/bin/mail is loaded and they can do their thing.
I've encountered problems with that... when experimenting i noticed it
worked fine to just change /bin/bash in the passwd file to /bin/mail, but
when i do this, people cant log into the FTP server anymore...
Is there an easy solution for this problem? Remember, i only want them to
be able to use /bin/mail! No shell!

Since you're using proftpd, just add the statement
RequireValidShell         off

And it should work.

Jan