Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSH mail server experiments

From: "Adam Newhard" <atnewhard () microstrain com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:48:05 -0400

I don't quite remember exactly, but there are override options for a lot of
ftp daemons (including proftpd b/c i've done it before).  to some extent,
this is a case of rtfm, but the option is burried so i don't blame you for
asking.  On the other hand, people will be able to get shell access of some
sort using /bin/mail as their shell setting.  Why can't you just set up pop3
or imap instead of ssh...sometimes the trickier you try to be, the less you
gain...it's just like DES encrypting a message twice with the same key (you
only get like a 10% gain in security on the second encryption from my
experiences/studies/readings...and that's if you're lucky)
adam
Adam Newhard
Microstrain, Inc.
If vegetarians eat vegetables, watch out for humanitarians

A week ago I started a webhosting service for subdomains at
http://crystal-ninja.cjb.net . Now, ofcourse, people need to ftp into
their
public_html directory in their home dirs. I'm using proFTPd for that.
But now for the problem: I just got the idea to make a funny mail service.
People should be able to just SSH into my server and instead of a shell,
/bin/mail is loaded and they can do their thing.
I've encountered problems with that... when experimenting i noticed it
worked fine to just change /bin/bash in the passwd file to /bin/mail, but
when i do this, people cant log into the FTP server anymore...
Is there an easy solution for this problem? Remember, i only want them to
be

able to use /bin/mail! No shell!

-
--