Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anit-Virus Software

From: "Ian" <e2chameleon () btopenworld com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:42:24 +0100

Hi,

One of the Good things about ePolicy Orchestrator is it can manage more than
just McAfee anti-virus products. You can manage McAfee Desktop Firewall as
well and get details of other  anti-virus products installed on your network
from other vendors such as Symantec (Norton) and Dr Ahn.. A number of
organisations are implementing dual vendor solutions in an attempt to
increase protection and the ability to report on both solutions using the
one console can be attractive.

Sophos has had a central management solution for a few years, It's called
SAVAdmin and lets you manage updates and installs from a central location.
They have recently added Enterprise Manager and EM Reporter to further
enhance their deployment, management, updating and reporting facilities.

Symantec (Norton) has System Center for its products and can also identify,
but not manage other anti-virus products.

Kaspersky Business Optimal is a complete solution for
desktop/server/Groupware that includes centralised management.

Panda Administrator can be used to centrally deploy and manage Panda
products throughout an organisation. Panda ASP is a hosted web based central
management system and is currently in Beta. It appears to provide web based
updates in a similar manner to McAfee's Rumour 2 technology for their ASAP
managed anti-virus service (which is another option).

eTrust AntiVirus from Computer Associates appears to have the usual set of
tools and includes dual scanning engines in a single system.

F-Secure Policy Manager can be used to manage anti-virus, personal firewall
and encryption / VPN systems from F-Secure.

F-Secure Policy Manager came out top in an SC Magazine review of AV
Management systems. The complete review of all products tested is available
online at: http://www.westcoast.com/securecomputing/2003_07/index.html.

Many other products from such as AhnLab, Alwil, BitDefender, Trend Micro,
Hauri and VirusBuster also have central management solutions available.

In addition to the management tools, there are some other things you may
want to examine such as product features and the effectiveness of the
scanning engines. The ICSA Labs (http://www.icsalabs.com) test and certify
security related products, including anti-virus systems, as does West Coast
Labs (http://www.check-mark.com). They provide an independent view on the
abilities of products to perform to high standards. Virus Bulletin
(http://www.virusbtn.com) and the university of Magdeburg's AV-Test.org
(http://www.av-test.org) provide comparative analysis of the effectiveness
of anti-virus products. These resources should help you identify the product
best suited to you.

Cheers,

Ian.

e2chameleon Information  Security Resource.
http://www.e2chameleon.btinternet.co.uk