Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Policy-Please help

From: "dmwidger" <dwidger () houston rr com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:51:43 -0500

How about this point of view?

Consider that a security policy is a component of a continuous improvement
process.

Security Policy is a pro-active pre-defined baseline.  An example:  We will
allow this, we won't allow that, we want that system configured in such and
such way.

An audit is to compare the reality of a given system against the what the
baseline is.  If there is no baseline, then you can't audit against it.

Consider the difference of an audit against a risk assessment.  A risk
assessment is comparing what are the relative strengths and weaknesses
against a broad external framework or benchmark.  As a security program
matures, the focus moves from risk assessments towards routine and periodic
audits (which compares against a known established baseline).

The risk assessments identifies that there needs to be policies, standards
and procedures.  Once these are defined, then audits cand executed  on a
regular basis to measure how reality differs from the defined baseline (set
by policies, standards and procedures).  The followup to an audit is an
implicit risk assessment where an auditor identifies the areas where systems
aren't in compliance, but identifies that areas that bring the highest risk
to the company.  The auditor's "risk assessment" identifies where deviations
exist from policies, standards, and procedures, ranking them, and this feeds
back into the organizations "risk posture", for correction.

In essence, higher risk equates to higher loss which detracts from a
corporations efficiency and profitability.

Security equates to risk management.  Security policy is a high level
benchmarking tool.

danw