Security Basics mailing list archives

Problems installing Nessus

From: Scott McKee <graydon.s.mckee.iv () orcmacro com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:00:53 -0400

I've been having problems installing Nessus on a new install of Red Hat Linux 8.0. I'm very new to Linux and have been trying for the past two weeks to figure this out on my own but I can't seem to get my head around this. I'm sure its something simple. Can anyone give me a hand.
I have installed OpenSSL like suggested on the Nessus Site
I installed libnasl and nessus-libraries and that went without issue or errors that I could see. When I run the command ./configure to install the nessus-core, I didn't see any errors Where I run into problems are when I follow the above command with make and this is what I get:

 [root@localhost nessus-core]# make
cd nessus && make
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Nessus_Install/nessus-core/nessus'
gcc -g -O2  `sh ./cflags`        -c xstuff.c
xstuff.c:32:21: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
In file included from xstuff.c:35:
xstuff.h:24: parse error before '*' token
xstuff.h:25: parse error before '*' token
xstuff.c: In function `init_display':
xstuff.c:41: warning: implicit declaration of function `gtk_init'
xstuff.c: At top level:
xstuff.c:45: parse error before '*' token
xstuff.c: In function `close_window':
xstuff.c:47: warning: implicit declaration of function `gtk_widget_hide'
xstuff.c:47: `w' undeclared (first use in this function)
xstuff.c:47: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
xstuff.c:47: for each function it appears in.)
xstuff.c:49: `FALSE' undeclared (first use in this function)
xstuff.c: At top level:
xstuff.c:51: parse error before '*' token
xstuff.c: In function `delete_event':
xstuff.c:53: `FALSE' undeclared (first use in this function)
xstuff.c: In function `close_display':
xstuff.c:57: warning: implicit declaration of function `gtk_main_quit'
make[1]: *** [xstuff.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Nessus_Install/nessus-core/nessus'
make: *** [client] Error 2
[root@localhost nessus-core]#

This appears to me to be a problem with my gtk+ load. Now when configure ran it confirmed the version of gtk+ to be 1.2 (earlier on another install it reported it as 2.0 but I think my installation was incorrect and since I reinstalled the same error did not reappear) Can anyone give me guidence on this?
Scott McKee