Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Incident response to being scanned

From: Frank Gearhart <fgearhart () adelphia net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:29:01 -0400

I agree.  At one job I noticed multiple (> 60/day) scans from two IP addresses.   After determining that the router was
ignoring them as expected, I looked up the IP addresses and found out that both belonged to a national ISP. I emailed
the ISP with my logs and forgot about it.  Other than filling my log files with entries, nothing bad was happening.

It does show that "scurity through obscurity"doesn't work.  We were  small local non-profit with no resources other
than a network.

Frank Gearhart