Security Basics mailing list archives

Incident response to being scanned

From: Bob Kelley <b0bk3ll3yjr () adelphia net>
Date: 25 Apr 2003 05:16:05 -0000

In reviewing my firewall and web server logs, I see repeated attempts from
several ip addresses to scan my network as well as infect my webserver
with code red.  The source addresses are not always the same.  I am
confident that I don't have any holes in my firewall and my webserver is
up to date.  I perform weekly vulnerability scans of my equipment to make
sure I am covered.

What is considered the best practice for dealing with these incidents?
Should I be filing abuse reports with the ISPs of the source IPs?  This
obviously takes time.  I am looking for a business case to justify the
time spent responding.

Thanks

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics