Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Incident response to being scanned

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 27 Apr 2003 11:39:43 -0000

What is considered the best practice for dealing with
these incidents?
Should I be filing abuse reports with the ISPs of the
source IPs?  This
obviously takes time.  I am looking for a business
case to justify the
time spent responding.

If you're being scanned, that just means that you're
connected to the Internet.  The fact that the scans are
not successful, and are being dropped, is a good thing.

I guess my question is why would you waste time
following up on each and every scan?  Perhaps the
reason you're having trouble developing a business case
for this investment of time and energy is that...well,
there isn't one.

I followed up on a Nimda scan...once.  But that's b/c
the same IP kept showing up in my logs for three
consecutive days.  Other than that...forget it.

Harlan

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics