Security Basics mailing list archives

Re:Trojan Horse Detection tools(Possibly off-topic)

From: "Sridhar J" <sridhar.jayaraman () wipro com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:59:40 +0530

Hi

Hi all,

Thank you all for responding. However, I feel a clarification would be
in order.

I am researching an area of concern for many companies, especially those
that outsource their software development to other companies.

Now, the legitimate concern is how can I make sure that the vendor
and/or is developers have not injected any trojan source code?

Trojan horses are not simply limited to those that record passwords into
temp files or those that send such information to other computers. If
you have read "The Cuckoo's Egg", where a developer of a banking
application used the salami attack to slice of small cents from other
accounts and put it into his account in the same bank.

This application does not record any info, connect to other sites or do
anything malicious to the computer. But it does not perform as intended
and this non-performance is deliberate.

I am looking at ways to detect it, atleast theoretically. I have done
some research and have come up with some solutions, which I could
publish in a white paper. If you know of tools that do some sort of code
checking or some techniques, please let me know.

Regards
Sridhar J
"What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence;The question
is, what can you make people believe that you have done."
--Sherlock Holmes in "A Study in Scarlet"