Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internet E-mail monitoring/approval - MONITORING

From: Gregory.Kane () hood-ctsfmail army mil
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:29:40 -0500

Folks

I am not an attorney, just someone who has had the opportunity to work in
the computer security field and have faced many of the same issues. Policy
development (legalities) should always be passed through an attorney. I
Believe this is my main point. We can all look at the various laws and make
an interpretation, but will our interpretation hold up in court? To put it
another way, would you go to an auto mechanic if you needed brain surgery?
I hope not! On these type of questions seek  competent advice from your
attorney.

The following is a copy of a response email that I sent that apparently did
not make a posting to the list:

Ted

The Department of Justice URL for the Privacy Act of 1974 as Amended is
http://www.usdoj.gov/foia/privstat.htm . Another very good resource to keep
a person's backside out of trouble is "Cyber Crime Investigator's Field
Guide" by Bruce Middleton. Another thought is the "Electronic
Communications Privacy Act" along with possible violation of First
Amendment Rights. Look up on google.com. Now with that said, did the target
sign any type of auditing authorization when he/she was first employed?
There may be a loophole with that, but it would normally be used in
conjunction with a court order - actually getting a court order. Whatever
you might do, do not necessarily accept 100% of any on-line legal guidance.
I am NOT providing any type of legal guidance. Always, always, check with a
qualified attorney or corporate legal counsel before committing to
anything. To provide initial guidance for your employer the mentioned items
should help.

Greg Kane

So the adage is, when in doubt seek a qualified expert.

Greg Kane M.S., GSEC, VAT
SAIC
CTSF-TD-IA
Assistant Information Assurance Manager
Trl- 4G
(254) 532-8321 X-2032
Cell 254-865-4934
gregory.kane () hood-ctsfmail army mil

                      "Wajid"

                      <wajid () cerrado co        To:       <Gregory.Kane () hood-ctsfmail army mil>, <tfrederick ()
ascentek com>,
                      .uk>                      <security-basics () securityfocus com>

                                               cc:

                      04/11/2003 01:51         Subject:  RE: Internet E-mail monitoring/approval - MONITORING

                      AM

Hi Greg, interesting point.

In drafting an AUP (acceptable user policy) for computer use, (for a
financial company) if I say....

=================
... The use of the technological facilities provided by Company is a
privilege NOT a right.

<snip, snip>

Although the Company respects the privacy of its users, privacy should not
be expected whilst using computers systems at the Company. Computers and
email facilities are provided to help the company achieve its mission and
conduct its business efficiently. The Company reserves the right to monitor
any machine at any given time either for administrative purposes, or for
verifying the compliance of this agreement. This can be done without prior
consent of the user.

Is it legal to say this? If the company forbids the use of its facilities
for personal use, shouldn't it have right to the content?

I have read some documents on privacy, but data such as logs of sites
visited, downloaded content; you come across that on maintenance anyway...
(router logs etc) isn't that classed as 'monitoring' ?

If the employee has signed to such a policy, should there still be a
problem?

I have failed to see anything from the Information Commissions regarding
this, if anyone has any links, please let me know.