Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Databases

From: "SF Admin" <webmaster () security-forums com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:00:10 +0100

adamrich <adamrich> randomly produced:

:: Hi Ben,
::
::: I've been given the task of evaluating various database servers with
::: regards to security, and would like to solicit opinions. The
::: databases I am interested in are:
:::
::: PostgressSQL 7.3
::: MS SQL Server 2K
::: Interbase 6 & 7
::: Sybase 12.5
::: Access 2K
::
:: You'd be nuts not to include mySQL on that list.
:: http://www.mysql.com
::
:: We use it almost exclusively now with Lasso Pro 6  middleware.
::
:: mySQL's security is extremely good, as it's open source so you have
:: many many sets of eyes looking at, and generally speaking no
:: licensing fees to pay to use it.
::
:: It is also EXTREMELY quick - I'm talking Oracle fast here
:: See http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,293,00.asp
:: http://www.oracledeveloper.nl/newforum/files/
:: Server%20databases%20clash.pdf
::
:: Are you guys in WA ? We're in Sydney.
::
:: Cheers,
:: Adam
::

And why Interbase but not firebird? (the succesor of interbase)

http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

.: http://www.security-forums.com :.

         Share your knowledge
          It's a way to achieve
                Immortality.

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.