Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Databases

From: adamrich <>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 23:03:59 +1000

Hi Ben,

I've been given the task of evaluating various database servers with
regards to security, and would like to solicit opinions. The databases I
am interested in are:

PostgressSQL 7.3
MS SQL Server 2K
Interbase 6 & 7
Sybase 12.5
Access 2K

You'd be nuts not to include mySQL on that list.
http://www.mysql.com

We use it almost exclusively now with Lasso Pro 6  middleware.

mySQL's security is extremely good, as it's open source so you have many many
sets of eyes looking at, and generally speaking no licensing fees to pay to use
it.

It is also EXTREMELY quick - I'm talking Oracle fast here
See http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,293,00.asp
http://www.oracledeveloper.nl/newforum/files/ Server%20databases%20clash.pdf

Are you guys in WA ? We're in Sydney.

Cheers,
Adam

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.