Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internet E-mail monitoring/approval

From: "Mike Moore" <mike () moorecomputing net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:34:38 -0500

Actually, this isn't true either. At least not for businesses in America.
Please see the exceptions mentioned here
http://gsulaw.gsu.edu/lawand/papers/fa99/nusraty_pascua/ . Basically a
business can monitor email for any number of reasons without any form of
written policy or consent. It would seem that if the business is the
provider there is no "reasonable assurance as to the expectancy of privacy".
Of course a good written policy makes this conversation mute :-)

Mike Moore