Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internet E-mail monitoring/approval

From: Gregory Kane <gregory.kane () us army mil>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:14:16 -0500

Ted

The Department of Justice URL for the Privacy Act of 1974 as Amended is
http://www.usdoj.gov/foia/privstat.htm . Another very good resource to
keep a person's backside out of trouble is "Cyber Crime Investigator's
Field Guide" by Bruce Middleton. Another thought is the "Electronic
Communications Privacy Act" along with possible violation of First
Amendment Rights. Look up on google.com. Now with that said, did the
target sign any type of auditing authorization when he/she was first
employed? There may be a loophole with that, but it would normally be
used in conjunction with a court order - actually getting a court order.
Whatever you might do, do not necessarily accept 100% of any on-line
legal guidance. I am NOT providing any type of legal guidance. Always,
always, check with a qualified attorney or corporate legal counsel
before committing to anything. To provide initial guidance for your
employer the mentioned items should help.

Greg Kane