Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Survey: Chat and IM

From: ChristopherShorter () westfieldgrp com
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:29:41 -0500

We've implemented Lotus Notes "Sametime".  Lotus Notes itself encrypts
messages and Sametime (Lotus' version of  IM and Net meeting combined)
conducts an encrypted session. We're actually conducting desktop video /
meetings with this product also.

                    "Robinson,
                    Sonja"               To:     'tony toni' <tony572001 () hotmail com>,
                    <SRobinson@HIP        "'security-basics () securityfocus com'"
                    USA.com>              <security-basics () securityfocus com>
                                         cc:
                    11/26/2002           Subject:     RE: Survey: Chat and IM
                    11:00 AM

Absolutely not.  Any Internet based IM goes out of your network nd across
the Internet.  BAD, BAD, BAD.  Now, there are some NEW products that allow
for INTERNAL IM, AOL, Honey-something I think and MS to name a few. This we
are investigating.  Also, it allows for a direct connection betrween the
two
PC's so there are some other tunneling issues, FTP allowed, etc that are
problems since it cicumvents the firewall.

Just because something is common place does NOT mean it is the wise thing
do.