Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Survey: Chat and IM

From: Charles Otstot <charles.otstot () ncmail net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:45:32 -0500

Toni, David...

Have you (and your respective staffs) considered a compromise?
I don't know precisely how widespread business IM use is, but it is an expanding
market. If your end-users (and by extension, IT staff) see it as a business
requirement, it seems to me that the "battle" has already been lost. Better to
achieve some measure of control than to fight a battle that is doomed to
failure.

There are a number of products on the market now that allow you to configure
your own IM and chat servers that you can configure for internal use. If users
perceive a business need for such a product, a reasonable measure of security
can be achieved while still providing legitimate business functionality. Perhaps
packaging it to the users (from both your group and the IT group) that we
understand the need for such a tool, however due to security concerns, usage
must be limited both in scope (i.e. business use only) and in location (i.e. no
communication with external entities). Limit usage within the confines of your
network (or at the least, VPN connections for remote users). That should help
alleviate your concerns somewhat and allow IT to provide a tool that users
consider useful for the business process.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

Charlie

ONEILL David J wrote:

Good Luck ...  We got shot down in Flames, no matter how we packaged it.

David J. O'Neill
NEDSS - IS7
Parkway Bldg., 2nd Floor
Phone: (503) 378-2101 ext. 364
FAX:     (503) 378-2102

tony572001 () hotmail com 11/25/02 01:48PM >>>

Hi,

We currently are allowing web based chat and instant messaging.  I know that
there are lots of security issues involved with its usage.  The IT folks are
telling me that it is a common practice in the industry.  I have a hard time
believing this and this is one battle I would like to take on.

QUESTION:  DOES YOUR COMPANY ALLOW WEB BASED CHAT AND INSTANT MESSAGING?  If
this was a battle you fought, could you please give me some ideas on how you
won the battle.  Any good articles/white papers that could support my
position?

Toni CISSP, CPA
Security Services
NW Mutural Banking LTD

--
E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an