Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: TCP vs UDP II

From: Alevizos Dimos <dimos () alevizos gr>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:09:29 +0200

I think it depends... I know for sure that ettercap (on linux) can hijack a tcp connection and inject whatever data the intruder wants (it's child's play for instance to hijack a telnet to a router and send back to the operator fake answers from the router)... But in order to do that it has to be on the same lan (it can work even in switched lans) with one of the two machines... If you're talking about some guy who's miles away to be able to hijack a telnet connection from you to some other machine... i don't know... :-)

Pablo Gietz wrote:

Dear list:
It's possible that a intruder could take active part of a TCP connection
after this was established?
In UPD I know this is true because is a connectionless protocol. But I have
doubts about TCP.
Thanks

Pablo A. C. Gietz
Jefe de Seguridad Informática