Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: TCP vs UDP

From: Arvind Shyamsundar <ashyamsundar () hotmail com>
Date: 12 Nov 2002 14:29:16 -0000

Hi,
It depends totally on the application you are using. Both TCP and UDP are
IP protocol types, and there are others like IP proto 47 (used by PPTP)
etc. which you would need to open in case the application needs it. As
always, do not open any additional ports / protocols unless they are used
by the application at hand.

For a more comprehensive distinction between UDP and TCP, I would suggest
any standard text on Networks (Tanenbaum etc.)

Regards,

Arvind Shyamsundar
Brainbench MVP for Internet Security
http://www.brainbench.com

Roberto Ramsis wrote:

hello
thanks to everyone who replied to my last msg
what's the difference between a port TCP and UDP?
i am talking from a firewall concept,i want to know ,if i need to
block a port,when should i block TCP and when UDP and when both?
Thanks in advance