Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: TCP vs UDP

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:48:55 -0800

From: "Roberto Ramsis" <robertoramsis () hotmail com>
what's the difference between a port TCP and UDP?
i am talking from a firewall concept,i want to know ,if i need to block a port,when should i block TCP and when UDP and when both?

TCP is a connection oriented protocol, UDP is a connectionless protocol. When to block what will depend on the service/program you're trying to allow access. You'll have to look up the specifics for each one. If you're confused on this issue, I recommend that you do some reading before you go too much farther, something like "Building Internet Firewalls 2nd Edition" by O'Reilly would probably be a good start.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."