Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Biometric question

From: "Kenneth W. Kubiak" <kkubiak () bflohearspeech org>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:30:33 -0500

Felix,

In short, I'm not sold on ANY biometrics security solutions.  It just seems
that, particularly since the 9/11 attacks in the U.S., that we've tried to
move too fast in implementing these sort of high-tech solutions that we
aren't entirely sure how they work, if indeed they work at all.  I'd heard
something similar about fingerprint scanners, but I just couldn't remember
how they were fooled.  Go figure... we spend hundreds of thousands of
dollars on developing a new technology like that, only to have it fooled by
something you can buy with spare change from a vending machine!  Anyway, I
remember reading not too long ago, that facial recognition scanners could be
fooled something like two-thirds of the time by holding a laptop screen up
to the scanner from a few feet away that produced a low-res image of the
person to be authenticated.  Unfortunately I can't find the article at
present - but I wouldn't think facial recognition's the way to go either.  I
think if you're planning on implementing a biometrics solution, that it
should be supplemented with the conventional password backup, or at least a
secondary biometrics solution.

Ken