Security Basics mailing list archives

Incident Response

From: "netsec novice" <netsec9 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:28:20 +0000

Every day we get scanned by various entities and some are more persistent than others. I'm looking for input on when most of you decide to send an e-mail or make contact with the person listed as abuse contact or responsible party according to whois for the source address. Since most are coming from overseas I haven't bothered figuring I wouldn't get a response anyway and was also concerned that initiating contact may make things worse. Scans seem fairly commonplace so I generally don't get alarmed. I'd love to hear about your practices for incident handling.