Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Preventing DHCP from allocating IPs

From: "jon kintner" <jon.kintner () lvcm com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 23:19:26 -0800

too much administrative overhead.  especially if you have a network of 50 or
more nodes.
unless you're using smaller subnets and using all valid IP's in the range, a
user can still specify an IP in your network with matching netmask and have
access
because of the MAC filtering on my school network, I wasn't able to pull a
DHCP address with a spare machine, so I used the above method.  just checked
IPCONFIG on a valid host, and matched the subnet.