Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Preventing DHCP from allocating IPs

From: "Fred Williams" <A20FBW1 () wpo cso niu edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:23:47 -0600

Hello,

As I see it, if a "client" knows the gateway address and subnet mask,
then they can just edit their tcp/ip configuration manually and "hope"
to use an unassigned address, thus bypassing DHCP all together.
Additional knowledge of the network makes this easier... This does allow
a client to use the network for accessing the internet, if such access
is possible from the network segment they happen to be on. Anyway, the
University of Utah has a product called ANA - Authenticated Network
Access that addresses this issue. Basically even if a user has a valid
ip configuration they cannot use the network unless they are
authenticated by an id/passwd combination.
http://www.netcom.utah.edu/ana/

Good luck
Fred