Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Preventing DHCP from allocating IPs

From: "David Verty" <verticalrave () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:05:38 +0000

As said below, it is possible to poison the arp table of the said switched network. In a hub configuration (as you probably know), network traffic hits all connected interfaces, and it is up to the computer to ignore them. A computer put in promisc mode will listen to all traffic.

In a switched environment however, it dosen't work that way so, you have to change the arp table on the switch so that traffic is redirected to yourself, but still passed on to the client. So essentally, it is a man in the middle attack. There are ways to sense poisoning in a switched environment, and i've seen some tools claim to stop poisoning, but so far I have not tested any yet. Ettercap is only one of the sniffing tools so far that I have seen to have perfected this capability. I'm not so sure about Ethereal however.