Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: syslog server- how to on Linux

From: "Marc Thomas" <marc () mainetech net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:13:24 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Thomas [mailto:marc () mainetech net]
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 1:01 PM
To: James-lists
Subject: RE: syslog server- how to on Linux

I also have to agree.

I went through this very issue when building my firewall machine.
I wanted specific logging and looked into syslogd to make some
changes. a simple "man syslogd" wasn't enough to tell me what I
was looking for. While it described configuring syslog, and it's
function, it didn't adequately describe each syslog facility such
as "auth" "kern" "debug" and so on, and what each facility was
responsible for logging. In my case, man pages for syslog in
sections 2 and 3 weren't even installed on the system. Only after
extensive googling did I find what I wanted, which really wasn't
of much help. So in some cases, a simple "man 'something'" isn't
always the best answer.

In the end I went with syslog-ng
http://www.balabit.hu/en/downloads/syslog-ng/ which proved far more flexible
and with better documentation. So far, it has worked out very well.

My $0.02

Marc