Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: syslog server- how to on Linux

From: Nuno Branco <branco () markdata pt>
Date: 16 Dec 2002 14:39:27 +0000

You must use the "-r" switch for "remote" logging i.e. syslogd -r

Syslog usually listens on 514/udp.
On client machines you must set your syslog.conf to log to a remote
server with an entry like *.* @server.ip.address.

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 20:34, netsec novice wrote:
I'm hoping I don't generate flames because this is somewhat off-topic but I
have been googling for a while and I'm not getting the answer I'm looking
for.  I need information on how I view or set up syslog on a Linux platform
(specifically SuSE 8.1)  I am BRAND new to Linux and purchased SuSE to force
myself to learn.  My first project is to set it up as a syslog security
server.  Yes - I have also done man syslog.  I am familiar with syslog
servers (Kiwi) in the windows environment.  What is the method to viewing
logs on Linux?  Typing syslogd at the command line tells me that syslogd is
already running but I don't see it listening as a service when I type
netstat -an.  Any help is appreciated... a direction for information if you
just think I'm an idiot is fine too.
thanks

--

Atentamente,