Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless LAN detection

From: "Robinson, Sonja" <SRobinson () HIPUSA com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:29:07 -0500

NetStumbler and WEPCrack are two programs to use to sniff and crack your
wireless network.  You might pick up your neighbors wireless, that's a risk
but better them then you.  Hopefully they will have tuned down their
broadcast range but probably not.   Hopefully their SSID is not default and
is hard to crack.

Bastion host the wireless laptop.  It essentially will be on a DMZ so make
sure it is a secure build with no extraneous info stored on it and the O/S
hardened to the max.  Odds are it won't get hacked in the time that you war
drive.  And you should notice since you should have your own firewall s/w up
on that box.

Redefine "illegal".  Unauthorized is the word you want to use.

There are a number of paging alerts.  AlarmPoint is one, but there are some
free ones availabe if you search.