WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Threat Modelling

From: "Mark Curphey" <mark () curphey com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:55:33 -0400

To quote ...."The tools used for Risk Management in certification &
accreditation (NIACAP/DITSCAP) are very effective for threat modeling."

Maybe I am missing the point here so please help me out.

How would these generic tools help me methodically expose the fact that an
application developer chose to send a password in clear in an unprotected
SOAP message across an untrusted network?

How would these generic tools help me expose an application that used DNS to
authenticate a components location?

How is a generic tool going to help me expose an application that is not
validating input from a 3rd party web services data feed ?

I think there maybe confusion between what I think of threat modeling and
risk assessment. Threat modeling to me is about helping design a better
technological solution. See Building Secure Software, Writing Secure Code or
Threats and Countermeasures for my definition examples. Risk Assessment is
generally about a better management solution (where the definition of
management is the same as that from ISO17799). CRAMM is of negligible use
whatsoever in designing a secure application. Actually any security tool
that stores security information in an access database and is riddled with
security holes itself is of no use to me at all but that's another story. It
may have a use in modeling the business operations of a web environment but
it will not help me design a secure system from a technological perspective
and that's what I use threat modeling for. Maybe that's one explanation, I
(or you) are confusing operational security with engineering a software
system.

And I am sorry but modeling dollar amounts is .......well even NIST 800-30
explicitly says don't bother, it's a pipe dream. Take an online brokerage.
At market the HART's (Hourly Average Revenue Trades) will be totally
different from at 9pm. If I model the system from a monetary perspective
should I change my security  model at market open from the evening? Do I
insist on digital certs when by average customer balance hits a 1 million
dollars per account....that sort of modeling would probably justify Bill
Gates using RACF to trade at discount broker X but guess what....

When I first left college I used to have to do RA's using CRAMM (I am
originally from the UK btw)... I would happily bet that I could write an
application that in a controlled environment (i.e. it won't fail from not
having a policy, backup etc etc) would pass a CRAMM review with flying
colors and could be hacked totally in under a minute. The internet and
software technology is just too complex to try and model security
conceptually using simple wizards. I personally think that security threats
and countermeasures have moved at light speed compared to the technology
used to support RA. Just my personal opinion.

I think someone else had a good point in that RA tools are generally high
level. Building software is both a high level process AND a low level
procedure. The devil can be in the details and RA tools generally can't find
devils ;-)