WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Threat Modelling

From: brennan stewart <brennan () ideahamster org>
Date: 22 May 2004 13:30:33 -0400

The tools used for Risk Management in certification & accreditation
(NIACAP/DITSCAP) are very effective for threat modeling. Some of them
are high level, and others can be technical. The problem with them
though, is their extreme price tags, proprietary content, lack of
component re-usability, and perhaps some information wouldn't be to the
technical level security professionals would require.  They also don't
have the level of integration that is really vital.

While I know the initial thread was discussing Threat Modeling, it
appears there is a huge gap in the comprehensive risk assessment/threat
management arena (even with commercial software)

It would appear that an open source solution would fit the bill for
this. My ideas would take it far past mere threat modeling though for a
more complete, quantitative picture of risk, mitigations, dollar
amounts, residual risk, etc.

Some sample requirements:
Asset detailing, currency value assignment
Complete threat listing, in DB
Attacks\exposures\etc matched to the OSVDB (maybe the legacy CVE/ICAT
also)
Logic to understand system configurations (Linux/Unix/Windows/Cisco/etc)
preloaded with sample hardening, and scoring mechanisms (NIST 800
series)
Logic to understand policies + DB
Logic to understand legal requirements + DB (swap requirements by
country/business/etc)
Network aggregation
Then, some nice reporting functions to top it off
(continued)

I know many of these data sources exist already individually.

regards,

Brennan