Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Civil Disobedience

From: Catherine Allen <cla () edion com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 04:23:59 +1000 (EST)

"Hackers, virus-writers and web site defacers would face life
imprisonment without the possibility of parole under legislation
proposed by the Bush Administration that would classify most
computer crimes as acts of terrorism."

Is it appropriate to ask all members of an international forum to protest an
American law?

We would be affected by it only if extradition laws came into effect.
Extradition implies that the alleged crime was perpetrated on American soil or
under American jurisdiction.

Is it envisioned that this bill would cover American nationals and acts
perpetrated on American soil only?  Are you suggesting that the whole of the
Internet is seen as being "American" by the Bush administration?  In what way
is jurisdiction identified or proven, under this bill?

It is misguided to assume that "all people" are subject to American laws.

Ob-vuln-dev:
Does anyone know of a bug or virus under Win98 that would cause IE "security
domains" to disappear and the IE executable to become un-executable?  Other
symptoms include missing keys from the registry and multiple BSODs on a
previously stable system.  Please reply to me directly and I'll summarise to
the list if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks,

Catherine.
---
Statements above are my opinion and are not necessarily endorsed by my employer.