Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Modern hw-killing virus feasible

From: fejed <fejed () OPTUSHOME COM AU>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 18:11:34 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Dom De Vitto <dom () DEVITTO COM>
To: <VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 4:21 AM
Subject: Re: Modern hw-killing virus feasible

Feasible? Yes, depending on hardware that can be made to break itself.
Anyone else remember the BBC micro?
When they brought the first BBC masters, the circiutry had a software
switchable charger for the battery.  Guess what happened if you hit the
register to start the charger, then walk away.....boom. No more computer.

I heard that such a trojan/virus existed (possibly even to thwart
software pirates)...

Aren't there mobos out there that support 'software overclocking'...?
:-)
Dom

Speaking of which, yes it is possible to fake cpu clock speeds and what not,
I found a win32 program which allows you to fake that and all that relies on
the cpu's standards gets sped up, gif animations, games, anything could
think that 30 days have gone past but in real life, it has only been 10
minutes.  I could not find the source to this program but I dissassembled it
and from what I can gather it looks like its done in visual c++, if anyone
would like a copy email me off the list.

fejed

<snip/>