Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Win32.Sircam.Worm Alert.....

From: Martin Lindquist <martin () phreakproductions cjb net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:13:35 +0200

Today I received two e-mails with the mentioned attachments, although
from people I have never heard of before. Since I'm fighting SPAM every
single day, I don't open attachments in e-mails from unknown senders
(some people seem too happy to get e-mail and think everyone who sends
them one is a good guy), but I recognised the text and thought I'd drop
a line about the e-mail I received a couple of days ago, more precisely
Thursday 19th. It's the same mail, with one big difference; it's in
spanish:

| Hola como estas ?
|
| Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista
|
| Nos vemos pronto, gracias.

I don't know much spanish, but it looks to me as a direct translation of
the english version. Subject line was "WOWWWWWWWW" and the attached
(suspected evil) file is named "WOWWWWWWWW.doc.com".

 / Martin Lindquist

--
email:marine () trouble net
email:martin () phreakproductions cjb net

EPiC wrote:

Friday morning I recieved an email from a friend,  it looked as though he
was sending me a .doc to look over. To my dismay, it was a worm that had
infected him.

I have found little information about this worm,  Mostly located at
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm () mm html

The Worm will come from someone that has you on there contact list, and will
have a differnt subject line determined by the attached file.

The text will read in english as:

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

----

****

The link i posted above has a program that will remove the worm,  I would
suggest using that rather than deleting it yourself,  I found that I was
renaming regedit.ext to regedit.com to even open regedt.  The worm tries to
run any executables through it's own shell code.

This being my first real post to Bug-traq I would like feedback.  Any
questions, hate-mail, death-threats etc can be sent off to epic () hack3r com

thank you

EPiC
hack3r.com