Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: A code red that could bring down the net?

From: Birger Toedtmann <birger () takatukaland de>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:13:19 +0200

josh abulamhammedramashi schrieb am Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 07:41:51PM -0700:
* I just wanted some input on this paper I wrote, It'd
* be nice for some input and constructive critiscm. I'd
* like to get this to eventually make the guest writer
* section on security focus. You can view it at
* http://www.whoredware.com/codered.html

You are talking about _the_ one deadliest virus.  But I think against that
we have a cure nature lectured us about all the time: diversity.

This is the strongest argument against M$ taking over too much market share,
but also against *any* OS/software combination doing that, even Linux or
Apache.

As any virus can only attack a limited number of target holes, all services
or OSes it can not infect secure the net.  Have the whole net supplied with
one OS or service, someone will find a virus/worm and may bring it down
completely.

This is even more severe for the router market.  As Cisco has a very high
share, suppose their IOS has a really severe hole or even a back door for
some evil agency?  Then the net is at their hands.

Regards,

--
  Birger Tödtmann
  Handwerker für elektronische Netzwerke und deren Dienste