Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Vlans

From: "Aaron D. Turner" <aturner () ONESECURE COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:52:26 -0800

Tim,

The answer it 'depends'.  How switches actually impliment VLAN's are up to
the vendor.  Also, rememeber that VLAN's were designed to restrict
broadcast traffic *not* unicast (ie, you may be able to jump vlans if you
know the MAC of the target host- I've seen this happen on Bay Network
switches).  VLAN's were designed to improve network performance *NOT*
security.  Not to say that VLAN's can't improve security, but you have to
realize the limitations (which is implimentation dependant).

The most important thing is configuring it correctly and managing it
securely.  I've lost count how many times someone swore to me that the
VLAN's were set like "this" and didn't look anything like that which had
the effect of opening up huge holes in the network if someone knew.

In most cases, it is more cost effective and secure to use a dedicated hub
or even cross over cable between routers and firewalls since you generally
only have those two devices on that network.  An additional advantage of a
hub is that it makes adding a sniffer or IDS easier and does so without
impacting the performance of the switch.

For more info on this topic, see:
http://www.synfin.net/docs/switch_security.html

- --
Aaron D. Turner  Security Architect, OneSecure  http://www.onesecure.com/
aturner () onesecure com  work: 408-992-8045  cell: 408-314-9874
pub  1024D/1B57EB4D 2000-09-27 Aaron D. Turner <aturner () onesecure com>
     Key fingerprint = F90C BFB4 4404 5504 295D  4435 578B 1DD5 1B57 EB4D
All emails by me are PGP signed; an invalid signature indicates a forgery.