Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Vlans

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh () POP JARING MY>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:26:33 +0800

At 09:02 AM 1/17/01 -0800, you wrote:
I am not certain if this is the place to ask this and if not please let
me know where to send it.

I have a client who has the following configuration

Internet -> router -> firewall -> load balancer

The connection from the router to the firewall is on a switch and the
connection from the inside interface of the firewall is on the same
switch. The separation is done using VLANS.

Why not

Internet

router
|cross-over cable
firewall

switch/hub

That's similar to what we have here.

How much does it cost to make/get a cross-over cable?

It's a lot harder for a hacker subvert a cross-over cable remotely e.g.
social engineering for instance but you should take care of that as well.

Personally when secure network equipment is required I like cross-cables
and really "dumb" hubs and switches.

Putting those newfangled switches with built-in webservers on the
"insecure" side sounds silly to me. Actually putting those particular type
of switches anywhere sounds silly too, esp when you have curious people in
your network.

As for reliability and management: how often do "dumb" hubs fail? They're
practically wires hooked together.

Seems to me that it's the smart switches which fail. One of our ISPs
apparently had a problem with their "advanced" switches and had to firmware
patch it. International connectivity was < 22kbps at one point. Doh. And I
had to point out the problem to them- doh^2.

Cheerio,
Link.