Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: information being stored from cgi forms

From: crispin () WIREX COM (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:18:59 +0000

Bob Johnson wrote:

Within the past couple of weeks I've noticed that when I answer questions on
any web based   form (questionnaire, application, etc.) on any web site - it
seems that each time I press the <ENTER> key or <TAB> key or use the down
arrow to go to the next field, it takes much longer to advance to the next
field than it used to.

It's almost like the data that I type in is being stored somewhere on the
hard disk before I can advance to the next field.

Do you have Javascript enabled?  It could be that the forms you are typing into
are actually being processed by a javascript applet that came with the form.
That would account for the latency and the disk activity.

Personally, I run with javascript disabled.  With way over 20 unique Javascript
security vulnerabilities announced in 1999, I consider browsing untrusted sites
with scripting enabled to be hazardous.  When I encounter a web site that
requires javascript for navigation (e.g. securityfocus.com ^W citysearch.com
:-) I give 'em a "Bronx Cheer" :-) and go elsewere.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org