Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: spoofing the ethernet address

From: robbins.7 () OSU EDU (James A. Robbins)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:54:42 -0500

At 11:15 AM 3/14/00 -0500, Arnold, Jamie wrote:
I have a question that one/some of you may be able to help with.  We have a
user in one of our dorms (DHCP) that is reporting his MAC address as
changing about every 10 minutes.  When he first powers-on his system, the
MAC is correct and DHCP renews his lease.  After a while, the master switch
shows his IP having about 10 different MAC addresses, all variations of the
first where the first 4 digits remain constant, the second 4 go to the last
position and the middle 4 change randomly.  Has anyone seen this, or have
any idea what's going on.  My theory is a cheap NIC with bad firmware.  We
have seen an influx of inexpensive cards coming into campus that have had
duplicate MACs or no MACs (000000000000) at all.

Arnold,  we see this all the time.  It usually means that a NIC is going
bad.  Another symptom is when the IP addresses get all shuffled
around:

From: 128.146.20.14 To: 128.146.20.254

becomes

From: xxx.xxx.128.146 To: 20.14.xxx.xxx

Also, we see all zeros in MAC addresses all the time, especially on
Mac PowerPCs. It usually happens during large file transfers.

--
James A. Robbins
Senior Design Engineer, Network Engineer