Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CGI directory path

From: vlad () SANDY RU (Vladimir Dubrovin)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:44:16 +0300

Hello NiGHTfly,

This  was  discussed  on  the bugtraq. You can force IIS to check file
existence for ISAPI filters. Check bugtraq archive for last month. You
can also check

http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/IIS_and_Perl_may_be_used_to_reveal_true_directory_location.html

08.07.19 9:54, you wrote: CGI directory path;

N> Hi

N>  I am a new system administrator for a company(by new I mean I have only
N>  worked for 2 weeks for them!) I was going throught all the setting and
N>  configurations of the servers, until I came across this on our website :

N>  In the url dialog box of netscape I typed :

N>  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx being a replacement for the REAL address :)

N>  http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx/cgi-bin/*.pl

N>  I did this to see if I will get a directory listing of all the perl scripts.
N>  But what I did get was the following :

N>  CGI Error

N>  The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete
N>  set of HTTP headers.

N>  Can't open perl script "D:\data_file\*.pl" : Invalid argument.

N> Okay I know this is bad, but in what way? How and what can a script
N>  kiddie do with a full directory path? and how can I fix this?

  |Vladimir Dubrovin|
  | Sandy Info, ISP |