Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

office 2k security bug?

From: torgeir () OHD NO (Torgeir Hansen)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:37:59 +0100

for a while ago, i attended a pre-course to installation, etc. of office2k
(before the final release of office - so i don't know if this is for real)

there they showed us the "wonders" of the installation wizard (or what it
was called again..) that's installed as a service under WindowsNT with admin
right's.
And since they wanted it to work with install on first use as normal users,
it was just a setup app calling on installation wizard which had rights to
install, etc..
But as far as i understood, you can even do register changes with that
setup - just make you'r own setup.ini (inf?) file ..
In short terms: a normal user can gain system access under NT by the mean's
of the "installation wizard" by reading/writing to the registry..
has anyone tried anything like this? I don't have access to any NT machines
that i can use for such a test at the moment, so i cannot test it myself..
.would be great if someone could tell me if this is right or wrong.
(imagine the use of it with a lazy sys-admin with the same adm pwd on all NT
workstation's - full access to all workstations (and potensially servers) in
a NT network might be.. interesting if you are a person with less glorious
intentions.. )

- Torgeir Hansen