Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Router worm exploiting poor SNMP security.

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () KYX NET>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:07:05 -0800

This would only be possible if there was a method of
executing programmatic instructions via SNMP MIBs.
There have been related vulnerabilities (like manipulating
processes in Solaris via SNMP), but I would assume
this is rare.  Most SNMP vulnerabilities are of the
information leakage variety.

And writing router worms faces difficulties with the many
versions of routers out these... even if you were to
stick to relatively garden-variety IOS you would have
to deal with many model and installation specific
architecture differences. (I did some feasibility
studies on this a while back...   :-)

cheers,
--dr