Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Router worm exploiting poor SNMP security.

From: Lars Nygård <lars () SNART COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:58:16 -0000

Additional information
If you know the SNMP read/write community it should
be no problem to upload files to Nortel routers. This is
done today with Site Manager. I'm guessing this is
done by enabling tftp.

BayRS has it's own script language, which I believe
can be used to write such a worm. What I'm not sure
of is if it's possible to send SNMP packets with such
a script.

The problem would be to execute the script on a
remote router. I'm not sure if this is possible.
It's however possible to execute ping from a remote
router with SNMP (again this can be done with Site
Manager).
I'm guessing this might makes it possible to find an
exploit. Perhaps by modifying the MIB entry
wfIcmp.wfIcmpExecute.1. Only guessing here.

Anyone out there who got the answers?

-Lars Nygård