Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: connections to jump2.eudora.com

From: Joel Michael <joel () DIGGY COM AU>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:04:19 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Batenburg" <petertje () DEEJAYS NL>
To: <VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 5:15 AM
Subject: connections to jump2.eudora.com

anybody that knows where eudora uses this connection for? sending
information of me to their servers? checking for updates?
i checked my eudora config, and i can find no settings that should
allow it
to connect to that server..

I think (but I can't confirm, I don't run Eudora myself) that this could
be for that advertisment panel that you see in the middle left of the
main window.  I wonder how far this can be exploited?  Say, poison the
DNS to point Eudora at your own web server, and go from there?  At the
very least, you should be able to put your "own" advertisments in
there...

Unfortunately, there aren't enough hours in the day for me to play with
this :-)

Regards
Joel Michael
System Administrator
http://www.diggy.com.au
Tel: +61 7 3367 3555     Fax: +61 7 3367 3544
mailto:joel () diggy com au

This e-mail contains information that represents the views and
opinions of the author and therefore does not necessarily reflect
those of Diggy Internet Sevices.
If you have received this email in error, please forward back to
sender and then delete and destroy from your computer.