Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: /dev/urandom | logger "issue"

From: "Sarel J. Botha" <sjbotha () EMAIL COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:32:14 +0200

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 02:48:57AM -0500, H D Moore wrote:
Even if you added user logging when the logger program is run, what
keeps someone from opening /dev/log and forging thier messages that way?

I'm not 100% on how syslog works. Does a daemon write to /dev/log or to a
unix socket to log?

If it only uses /dev/log then this problem can be easily fixed my system
administrators on their own machines. Just create a log group, make the
permissions on /dev/log 660 and add all daemons that are allowed to log to
the log group.

IMHO distributions should also have a policy enforcing this.

--
Sarel Botha

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
          fix one bug, compile it again...
          101 little bugs in the code....