Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: How do web servers handle dropped connections?

From: Russell Berry <russ () BERREX COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 21:47:26 -0400

probably something along the same lines as if you started /blah.pl on the
command line and then sent an interrupt signal.  Depending on how you have your
logging configured on the web server, you would possibly find entries in your
log like: /path/to/http/root/whereever/blah.pl:premature end of script.

Russell

On 25-Aug-00 Walter Hop wrote:
Hi,

looking at the stars last night I was wondering: if I request a scripted
page /blah.pl from a webserver, the server starts the perl interpreter and
runs the script. What happens when the browser breaks the connection
with the web server before the script has finished? Is the script allowed
to execute fully and is the output being discarded afterwards, or is the
process killed immediately? In other words, can server side scripts be
aborted prematurely in this way - and for example corrupt open files or
leave inconsistencies in a database?

This condition is probably considered by web server authors long ago, but
I can't find any info on the subject (and am not great in C)..

cheers,
walter

Society often forgives the criminal;                         \ 1 \
it never forgives the dreamer. [Oscar Wilde, 1891]              /

Words to Live by...
        Work like you don't need money,
        Love like you've never been hurt,
        Dance like nobody's watching.